Tuuba Time: 2024-05-03 06:56:24 | Local Time: 2024-05-03 03:56:24

You are not logged in.

^ #76 2015-10-20 05:49:48

Brian OA
Liver Extraordinaire
Website

Re: ITT: Pretend we are still writing in osu! OT

B1rd wrote:

I don't really think that's a fair description. OT is not 'private', it just has it's own culture, and only a relatively small amount of people who encounter it integrate themselves into that culture.

It does have that big facet that has no place in a public forum though

^ #77 2015-10-20 05:52:25

Granger
Cash Money
Website

Well, i wouldnt say OT wants to be private, but i gotta admit it kinda got something clique esque going on. Not too much but its there.

Life is like a box of chocolates. But theres no candies in there for you.

^ #78 2015-10-20 05:53:59

Brian OA
Liver Extraordinaire
Website

fair enough

^ #79 2015-10-20 05:55:58

B1rd
-

Granger wrote:

Well, i wouldnt say OT wants to be private, but i gotta admit it kinda got something clique esque going on. Not too much but its there.

Pretty much.

I don't see the problem with having different subcultures on a public forum. That is how you attract new people rather than dying out.

^ #80 2015-10-20 05:58:08

Aurelianus Augustus
Restitutor Orbis

Granger wrote:

Hey now, the chans are pretty much only hosts for many different communities. Im rather liking the arts and crafts boards on 4chan... blame the media for calling /b/ 4chan. And yourself for forming such general prejudices based on media informations.

I've visited that feces-filled hole many a time, luckily only in the past, and no boards there are "innocent". The people there are the kind I don't want to have anything with, but you are welcome to bring a few here and change my mind, as I'm not THAT narrowminded on the matter.

The thing that shocked me the most was that board with shittons of gore and whatnot, where people actually cheered and got thrilled by others being dismantled and worse. How can you even be on the same site at those kind of people? Or the /fit/ or whatever it was called, people posting dick pics and generally embarrassing themselves. There were plenty more that I noted, but that was something like 3 years ago and I can't remember it well.

/a/ is likely Osu 2.0, but with more technical nerds. :p

313.png

nOVJiUv.gif

^ #81 2015-10-20 06:10:17

Brian OA
Liver Extraordinaire
Website

B1rd wrote:
Granger wrote:

Pretty much.

I don't see the problem with having different subcultures on a public forum. That is how you attract new people rather than dying out.

No, that's fine and in fact ideal

The issue is when you try to make a cool kids club out of it

^ #82 2015-10-20 06:20:45

Granger
Cash Money
Website

Well, basically, anonymity makes some idiots think they can do whatever they please; they falsely assume that since users have no appartent way of identifying the one that does shit they're not able to be held accountable for these things.
The thing is, you can find those idiots anywhere; so why can i visit the websites where they are on? Easy, i tell myself, if i wanted to avoid idiots this much i shouldnt browse the internet at all. Im dealing with them as i do with spam. Hide, delete, block. Ignore. I cant stop them and im not letting them ruin my day.

And /fit/... dunno, i dont really browse it but from the few things i've seen it seems just like what it says it is; a board about fitness. The one time i posted there i got help and a new, actual regime for working out including indepth explainations why and what those exercises do. So they're chill in my books.

Honestly, a lot of this is what you make it to be. Kind of like how everyone says tumblr is totally shit, but if you follow interresting people and not those crazy ones its a chill place aswell.

Last edited by Granger (2015-10-20 06:23:53)

^ #83 2015-10-20 06:25:20

B1rd
-

Brian OA wrote:

OT was never like that though, was it? No one gets ostracized just because they're a 'new guy' or whatever.

Gilgamesh wrote:

So a few people like gore, and a few people post their naughty parts because they have a concerning wart or something, doesn't seem too bad to me. And it's a bit hard to embarrass yourself when you're posting on an anonymous imageboard mate :p

^ #84 2015-10-20 06:25:54

Brian OA
Liver Extraordinaire
Website

Gilgamesh wrote:
Granger wrote:

Hey now, the chans are pretty much only hosts for many different communities. Im rather liking the arts and crafts boards on 4chan... blame the media for calling /b/ 4chan. And yourself for forming such general prejudices based on media informations.

I've visited that feces-filled hole many a time, luckily only in the past, and no boards there are "innocent". The people there are the kind I don't want to have anything with, but you are welcome to bring a few here and change my mind, as I'm not THAT narrowminded on the matter.

The thing that shocked me the most was that board with shittons of gore and whatnot, where people actually cheered and got thrilled by others being dismantled and worse. How can you even be on the same site at those kind of people? Or the /fit/ or whatever it was called, people posting dick pics and generally embarrassing themselves. There were plenty more that I noted, but that was something like 3 years ago and I can't remember it well.

I only browse /a/ and /ic/

I only read the sticky at /fit/ and then moved on

If you go to places like /b/ you're pretty much just asking for a bad time

^ #85 2015-10-20 06:26:38

Aurelianus Augustus
Restitutor Orbis

Thing is, almost every place has a few gems, yes, but if the place is 80% infested with AIDS, I'm not going to risk it and search for gems that may or may not exist there.

There, Brian visits the art board there, right? Well, if I found that 80% of it was filled with shit, I would never have met Brian there and would probably think that he's also some cancerous fagget, which is of course not true. So yeah, like I said - I'm open to new people coming and I truly want to meet them, but let us first consolidate here before we let 4chan in.

313.png

nOVJiUv.gif

^ #86 2015-10-20 06:32:39

Brian OA
Liver Extraordinaire
Website

B1rd wrote:
Brian OA wrote:

OT was never like that though, was it? No one gets ostracized just because they're a 'new guy' or whatever.

I mean, it was like that when I joined. It was quite aggressive. Downright painful at times.

Currently it's just passive, but I'm still not fond of having role-playing and private conversations floating around. I'd be okay with that here though.

^ #87 2015-10-20 06:35:58

Aurelianus Augustus
Restitutor Orbis

Interesting. I was either downright oblivious to it or I never encountered it, but when I posted something in OT back then, I almost always got an answer and a discussion started from it. People weren't like "haha newfag lolol" from what I can remember, so it most definitely wasn't a "cool kids club". It looks more like it today than it was 3 years ago.

313.png

nOVJiUv.gif

^ #88 2015-10-20 06:42:29

Granger
Cash Money
Website

Im pretty sure "back then" isnt just reffering to 3 years ago but even longer ago?

On a unrelated note: No cntl + enter for quick reply. q-q

^ #89 2015-10-20 06:46:09

Brian OA
Liver Extraordinaire
Website

I've only been around for the three years. Can't really speak for anything before that sans what the oldfags spoke of

I never really felt welcome until Wojjan started talking to me

The rest of the time just felt like I was earning my place or having fun with some of the thread topics. I especially remember having fun with the 'post your dreams' thread

^ #90 2015-10-20 06:46:22

B1rd
-

Brian OA wrote:

Currently it's just passive, but I'm still not fond of having role-playing and private conversations floating around. I'd be okay with that here though.

I don't see the problem with it. I don't see why we need to change how we act just to make it easier on newcomers.

Board footer

Cookie policy