Tuuba Time: 2024-03-28 12:49:30 | Local Time: 2024-03-28 10:49:30

You are not logged in.

^ #1 2015-10-21 07:14:38

Soner
Fruit Expert/Expert Fruit

How to Catch the Beats Very Good

FIRST, GET A SKIN!

I'd suggest ExGon's, it's really simple so you can focus on the game. It has squares, which let you see stuff ASAP, which you'll need for AR10 maps (don't ever play AR10 it's not fun). Also, the fruits don't "flash" which helps with readability. Any catcher is fine I guess so just use your shitty loli heads and see if I care.

NOW MAKE IT SMALL!

Lowering your resolution makes the fruits seem "slower", and your movements will feel more exact. Make it 800x600 (Windowed), or set it to 640x480 in your INI if you're a real pro. Looking at your catcher a bunch is OK early on, but try to learn to focus on the top of the screen if you plan on playing for score/PP. Eventually you'll be able to enable hidden for FREE PEPPU POINTS!

NOW FOR THE SECRETS OF HIGH LEVEL PLAY

Make sure your dash key is set to something not garbage. Also there's these red outline fruits called hyperfruits that make you dash all the way to another fruit, they show up for long jumps. Oh also, fruits are actually a single pixel and your plate is a larger hitbox, so you always have to catch the middle of the fruit.

FIND GOOD PP MAPS WITH THIS ONE SIMPLE TRICK (Tom94 Hates Him!)

Newer CtB specifics are boring, older ones generally play like garbage, and converts are full of random difficulty spikes. So my advice is to do the new stuff or ask people in the community for recommendations! I could write something up, but my tastes aren't good. Other than that, jut pay attention to star rating, and don't play converts unless they're "AR>6.9 AR<9". AR has a pretty big impact on readability, at least early on.

That's pretty much all you need to know, CtB is a simple minigame. Feel free to ask any question, especially ones concerning skinning, and I'll update this post with any new information.

Last edited by Soner (2015-10-23 07:27:53)

^ #2 2015-10-21 07:26:52

B1rd
-

Re: How to Catch the Beats Very Good

Soner wrote:

As for map selection, try to play newer CtB specifics (old maps are garbage). Converts aren't gonna help you learn the typical playstyle, although there are benefits to it if you wanna set top scores or do multiplayer. Pay attention to star rating more than difficulty name, and for converts you'll probably want to stick to "AR>6.9 AR<9" until you're in the groove of things. AR has a pretty big impact on readability, at least early on.

Nah I think old map are better. The only maps I like really are autoconverts, with the mapped CTB maps you have to spam dash constantly when I'd rather to working on my basic movement finger control when I'm a beginner and I find that more enjoyable. I've had only a short run with CTB, but I'm proud of the scores I've managed to achieve.

^ #3 2015-10-21 07:38:04

FuZ
cancer incarnate

CTB specific maps = Hard at first but easier than converts after

Converts = Easy at first but harder after because of shit converts patterns, you can get an almost impossible to fc 4 stars map because of shit patterns

Also, fuck AR10

Last edited by FuZ (2015-10-21 07:41:08)

^ #4 2015-10-21 07:46:30

Soner
Fruit Expert/Expert Fruit

B1rd wrote:

Nah I think old map are better. The only maps I like really are autoconverts, with the mapped CTB maps you have to spam dash constantly when I'd rather to working on my basic movement finger control when I'm a beginner and I find that more enjoyable.

Eh, old maps might be funner to play, but I'd still recommend that people start with the current CtB specifics. Some of my favorite maps are converts, like pretty much any KIRBY Mix! But having a good grasp of the current norm is always good.

It's all fine though. If you're just starting out, it's not like the maps you play will eternally define your experience, and it's more important to have fun than to conform. Besides, you're gonna improve no matter /what/ you play up to a certain point. I'd definitely keep an eye on AR though, since that's gonna keep screwing you over as you try to adjust between maps.

FuZ wrote:

CTB specific maps = Hard at first but easier than converts after

Converts = Easy at first but harder after because of shit converts patterns, you can get an almost impossible to fc 4 stars map because of shit patterns

Also, fuck AR10

Pretty much. Converts are converts, and AR10 is never fun. Also, it says somewhere on the osu! wiki that every standard convert is basically 100% playable in CtB since they're exactly the same only one has a different (and lesser) form of input. This is the biggest lie ever and I'm pretty sure Satan himself made that edit.

Last edited by Soner (2015-10-21 07:46:47)

^ #5 2015-10-21 08:24:23

B1rd
-

Surely learning the basic movement and finger control would be a good idea at the start? ACs seem perfect for beginners, because they teach you fine movement and control for the most part, but have occasional jumps where the player can get used to the dash feature.

^ #6 2015-10-21 08:38:19

FuZ
cancer incarnate

Dashing is all about the rhythm (at least on ctb diffs) so in order to get good at dashing all you need to do is follow the rhythm and dash+turn accordingly, at some point your fingers will press the buttons to the rhythm on their own and you'll feel like a robot. You don't need some special training, just play the game and you'll understand how it work, looking at some replay from other players also help

On converts it's a bit different, it's still about rhythm but more reading skill is involved because of certain patterns and the higher amount of fruits on the screen

B1rd wrote:

ACs seem perfect for beginners, because they teach you fine movement and control for the most part, but have occasional jumps where the player can get used to the dash feature.

If by "ACs" you mean auto converts, then yeah they're nice but the problem is that a lot of converts have random jumps at random moments for no reason and that's also what make converts hard

Last edited by FuZ (2015-10-21 08:55:23)

^ #7 2015-11-16 03:49:00

Khelly
Isämmaam Puolustaja

Everytime I see multiple hyper dashes I feel like I'm somehow slowed down immensley when I stop holding the dash key.

^ #8 2015-11-17 06:51:07

FuZ
cancer incarnate

Khelly wrote:

Everytime I see multiple hyper dashes I feel like I'm somehow slowed down immensley when I stop holding the dash key.

You'll get used to it, don't forget that you can use your dash 0.1sec if you see that you're in a bad position and will probably miss the next note in a non-dash part. Here is a fun map if you want to practice movements.

Last edited by FuZ (2016-05-30 21:06:46)

^ #9 2015-11-19 20:37:17

Khelly
Isämmaam Puolustaja

Both of these were one miss fuck my life; I got 63pp though for that shitty miss. Why is 2.5* so hard

Also in some maps around this level there's sections where it feels you have to hold the dash key from one edge of the screen to the other and it seems I just don't have the time to get across the entire thing. It's worse when I have to go back and forth 4 times in a row.

Last edited by Khelly (2015-11-19 20:44:54)

^ #10 2015-11-19 21:03:47

FuZ
cancer incarnate

Khelly wrote:

Also in some maps around this level there's sections where it feels you have to hold the dash key from one edge of the screen to the other and it seems I just don't have the time to get across the entire thing. It's worse when I have to go back and forth 4 times in a row.

Yeah that's why converts sucks, maps are hard because of some random hard parts, when there's multiple hyperdashes in a row you have to follow the rhythm, that's all you can do, try to not focus on the visual but on the audio when you see that pattern. Ctb specific maps are good if you want to practice hyperdash or even normal dash

^ #11 2015-11-19 21:50:02

Khelly
Isämmaam Puolustaja

Here's an example of where I feel I'm not given enough time to reach any of the notes (except I hit all the dashes here) and yes this is my actual skin.

What even happened at the end I don't know aaah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqEbPxI … e=youtu.be

Last edited by Khelly (2015-11-19 21:50:45)

^ #12 2015-11-20 04:03:49

Khelly
Isämmaam Puolustaja

I gained 1900 ranks today.

Also that song we agreed was annoying as shit came to bite me in the dick later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjcQSUGlSY8

I hate hyperdashes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ZlM24dOtI

But I got one

https://youtu.be/5da1wO5x_o0

Last edited by Khelly (2015-11-21 08:53:29)

^ #13 2015-11-23 03:27:52

Khelly
Isämmaam Puolustaja

Recently Fuz has been teaching me the ways of beat catching. I'm still not entirely sure how you're supposed to do multiple hyper dashes in a row like towards the end of this video; I think it's pretty impossible, but I'll see in the future.

Also this map is really good and all of you should go out and play it. Too bad there's only 4 pages of ctb specific maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DJtUiUNIE

^ #14 2015-11-23 03:58:49

FuZ
cancer incarnate

Khelly wrote:

I'm still not entirely sure how you're supposed to do multiple hyper dashes in a row like towards the end of this video

It depends, some people will hold dash and just left-right but i personally prefer spamming dash while following the beat (hypers), it's more safe imo and more natural for me, also having this habit can be useful in some other patterns

However if the pattern is faster i'll just hold dash because it consume too much stamina and doesn't feel natural

So just practice and you'll find which technique you prefer, both examples can be seen here starting at 18 seconds

Last edited by FuZ (2015-11-23 04:12:49)

^ #15 2015-11-29 08:05:02

Khelly
Isämmaam Puolustaja

FuZ wrote:

I don't know how, but somehow I'm at least able to hit some of these things now. Nothing feels different about them; they still feel impossible. Especially when you miss one you miss them all and just fidget in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VVzmr7JaRM

Board footer

Cookie policy