Tuuba Time: 2019-11-21 08:12:47 | Local Time: 2019-11-21 06:12:47

You are not logged in.

^ #1 2017-06-16 09:39:11

Mara
Baka
Registered: 2015-10-19
Posts: 1,225
Website

Tuuba Revival Project

I think everyone who has been regular here can agree that the status of Tuuba Forums has gotten a lot worse for the past several months. Activity has completely died and the place seems like a ghost town. It would be nice to get this place to be alive again, so I decided to make this thread so we can discuss about it. Obviously, activity is something that doesn't magically appear. For the past few days I've been looking at forums in general and I have several subforum/thread based suggestions on where we could start. Surely, we need more posters but we can think about that later.

Removal of ITT
ITT is easily the most popular thread in the entire forum with over 17,000 replies and almost 500,000 views. At first it would sound like a really bad idea to remove such an active thread, but I think it would benefit the forum a lot. Removing ITT would potentially create new threads again. Sure, you will lose a place to talk about t- oh wait, there's an entire subforum for it! Remember, threads in Off-Topic doesn't need to be A+ quality. That means you can post about your Sunday meals in a new thread. For chit-chat, we have IRC but people never seem to realize that. Killing ITT will be a bit painful experience for some, but it's only for the best. This is the most essential change that needs to be done.

Stopping Necromancy Game
The second most popular thread in the forum is zini's awesome necromancy game. Over 9,000 replies and almost 250,000 views. It has come to the point where people just spam random letters like ccc and ssss ffffg aplll nonstop. Give some air to other forum games that are out there. The game has been running so long either way and I think it's time to announce the winner and title them as the biggest spammer of all time.

Removing Lewd subforum
This doesn't affect activity at all, but might as well mention it. It's dead, pointless and waste of frontpage space. If someone really needs to post something lewd outside of the subforum, just spoiler and tag it as NSFW or something. Also removing Lewd will (hopefully) make us forget about Khelly's dick.

Combine G&R with Other Media
I found myself saying this last year and it still seems like a good idea. Combine two inactive subforums into one as not many people here play osu! either way. If the activity increases from osu!players, we could just try making a subforum for the subforum.

Removing Art subforum
Also move the most active threads (Game Art and Brian's personal picture dump) in GD. The subforum barely has any activity going on and it's a good enough reason to do a change.

These are only just a tip of an iceberg. Let me know what do you think about the current state and what would you do to fix it.

If people are interested, I can always host another mafia game.

Offline

^ #2 2017-06-16 09:51:46

laport
fons honorum
Registered: 2015-10-22
Posts: 51
Website

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

I would like to see a gaming schedule thread where we can plan to play whatever games together.
And I would move the dick pics in a subforum of its own.
Plus a baking/food subforum would be nais too.

Offline

^ #3 2017-06-16 10:19:37

ksg
titteli
From: lokaatio
Registered: 2015-10-19
Posts: 405

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

Wouldn't miss necromancy much, it's been long enough, can't say anything about itt since I do my shitposting in "Paskapostaus" or irc.
And yeah G&R could easily just go into other media since it's pretty much just my shitmap dump right now.


i can't wait to live in the moment

Offline

^ #4 2017-06-16 11:46:55

oraakkeli
God of sexual desire and attraction
From: other side of a burning bridge
Registered: 2016-11-24
Posts: 29

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

The proposed changes are mostly aesthetic. Anyways it's summer. Make a summer janitor out of Mara.

We have the forums, discord, IRC and TeamSpeak. Activity will spread out between the platforms, no one will or is expected to be active on all channels. DO NOT EXPECT ACTIVITY ACROSS PLATFORMS. If you want to calculate activity for Tuuba, add up all of those and you get a more realistic approach for the problem. It's not a new thing to have forums dying after more prominent comms get available.


Posts without effort are like wiping your ass once: it doesn't really achieve anything, regardless of it being under a dedicated subforum. But let's get real, it's summer.

Offline

^ #5 2017-06-16 12:07:19

Mara
Baka
Registered: 2015-10-19
Posts: 1,225
Website

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

laport wrote:

I would like to see a gaming schedule thread where we can plan to play whatever games together.

This is pretty solid idea. We just need to figure out what kind of games are people willing to play.

laport wrote:

Plus a baking/food subforum would be nais too.

We have a thread for it already. It should go to GD though.

oraakkeli wrote:

The proposed changes are mostly aesthetic.

Two first aren't as aesthetic as (hopefully) posts will spread out more. But yeah, other ones are there just for the general cleanup.

oraakkeli wrote:

We have the forums, discord, IRC and TeamSpeak. Activity will spread out between the platforms, no one will or is expected to be active on all channels. DO NOT EXPECT ACTIVITY ACROSS PLATFORMS. If you want to calculate activity for Tuuba, add up all of those and you get a more realistic approach for the problem. It's not a new thing to have forums dying after more prominent comms get available.

So let's take a look at all these communication sources you mentioned.

  • Forum - Well, you know the state.

  • IRC - Not super active, but there are sometimes discussions going on.

  • TeamSpeak - Gang of about the same 8 people that play Overwatch. No new folks ever visit there.

  • Discord - Tuuba Forums doesn't have an official Discord server, the closest is my personal discord with bunch of folks there.

Now, I'm not entirely sure if it's the Discord that's to blame but if that is the case, sacrifices can always be made.

Offline

^ #6 2017-06-16 14:35:57

tupsu
Sales Manager
From: south finland
Registered: 2016-05-19
Posts: 1,296
Website

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

>Removal of ITT
agree..? maybe? I feel like there could still be a catch-all of some kind for casual shitposting/discussion
maybe make a 'chat' thread where videos/links are forbidden, to promote the use of other threads? (I'd allow images for the sake of reaction images)

>Stopping Necro
agree on personal grounds of 'I care way too much about that shit'

>Removing Lewd
disagree, it helps me figure out who to avoid because they'll probably fetishise me/others around

>Combine G&R with Other Media
disagree in the shape you are proposing it - I would make an entire 'games' subforum, throw osu! under there and keep other media as a subforum somehow, perhaps putting together art and other media?

>Removing Art
read above

>new mafia
yes thank you

I would like to see more /int/ activity from all y'all finns, but I don't exactly know how to promote that.

there *is* a discord, though it's 100% unofficial and shrinking fast (and I really don't think we need one with having irc and teamspeak)


(´・ω・`)

Offline

^ #7 2017-06-16 15:48:35

Dusalty
Just a regular wizard
Registered: 2015-12-01
Posts: 127

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

Removing Art subforum
Move the threads in Art under Other media or make the Art subforum into subforum within subforum.

Combine G&R with Other Media
Agree with this. Also the Games subforum which tupsu was suggesting would be good idea.

Removing Lewd subforum
I'm against this. In my opinion we should have a separate space for NSFW or ban all NSFW content entirely. Considering the current userbase I think the former is better option.

Removal of ITT
I don't think this makes any difference either way, short term it might increase topics in OT but eventually another similar thread will start dominating the OT subforum.


To be honest i don't really know how much activity you are expecting. If you apply the 90-9-1 principle to the size of Tuuba-community activity levels seem pretty standard.
The best way to increase activity would be getting new members and as far as I know there's no active promotion going on.


Trolling is a art.

Offline

^ #8 2017-06-16 16:15:10

abraker
Mad Scientist
From: Experimentation Site
Registered: 2015-10-20
Posts: 576

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

Remove everything that is active and squeezed out to the point of being dry and stale.. ITT and Necro can go, but why remove and/or collapse forum sections? You want to allow more places for users to post, not generalize them to a single point. That might result in more ITT type threads as you will get threads spiraling to the same kind because where else are you going to talk about stuff? Or it would discourage users to post a certain type of threads because they would be lacking sections as its sole heaven, so you get a "general art" type thread, for instance, where it becomes "ITT: we post art" kind of thing. Can go both ways, really.


hfT37VC.gif

Offline

^ #9 2017-06-16 16:38:33

fittan
nup.pw/rPApJe.webm
From: irc://
Registered: 2015-10-30
Posts: 1,531
Website

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

kill necro keep ITT leave lewd or i have to out of curiosity click this one retard's spoilered cow tits

ive tried to talk video games but people post just once or twice and then say nothing (disregard runescape for this)

rest idc, i'll join mafia



fittan.gif

Online

^ #10 2017-06-16 20:34:33

Hades Izanami
Supreme Senpai
From: Over here
Registered: 2015-10-19
Posts: 2,291

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

You MAY kill necro, as long as the contestants get awarded for their progress, otherwise don't.

ITT, mmm.. let's make a vote later.

No please leave lewd, except for the dick pics, throw those away.

I approve of a new mafia though.

Leave the art sf as well, some people feel like drawing stuff, why should we stop that?

Offline

^ #11 2017-06-16 20:40:20

Mara
Baka
Registered: 2015-10-19
Posts: 1,225
Website

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

tupsu wrote:

>Removal of ITT
agree..? maybe? I feel like there could still be a catch-all of some kind for casual shitposting/discussion
maybe make a 'chat' thread where videos/links are forbidden, to promote the use of other threads? (I'd allow images for the sake of reaction images)

Here's a thing about Off-Topic in general. The entire subforum is there just for casual shitposting. So currently our shitposting is just one thread, shown as red.

D467kjM.jpg

But in reality, all decent discussions should be in GD instead and Off-Topic should be filled with garbage that ITT already has. In other words, we are not using the subforum at its full potential. As a comparison that nobody gets, it's like playing CS:GO only for the Arms Race.

iREutG9.jpg

Currently, there are barely any differences between GD and OT. OT just has a massive thread.

tupsu wrote:

>Removing Lewd
disagree, it helps me figure out who to avoid because they'll probably fetishise me/others around

Dusalty wrote:

Removing Lewd subforum
I'm against this. In my opinion we should have a separate space for NSFW or ban all NSFW content entirely. Considering the current userbase I think the former is better option.

At the very least, it would be nice to have that subforum hidden by default. People who seek titties could ask for permissions or something. Or like Dusalty said, ban NSFW completely but I heavily doubt that is going to happen.

tupsu wrote:

>Combine G&R with Other Media
disagree in the shape you are proposing it - I would make an entire 'games' subforum, throw osu! under there and keep other media as a subforum somehow, perhaps putting together art and other media?

>Removing Art
read above

Dusalty wrote:

Removing Art subforum
Move the threads in Art under Other media or make the Art subforum into subforum within subforum.

Moving art threads to other media sounds like a pretty good idea.

tupsu wrote:

I would like to see more /int/ activity from all y'all finns, but I don't exactly know how to promote that.

Do you mean finnish shitposting? We probly need to set up something for that.

tupsu wrote:

there *is* a discord, though it's 100% unofficial and shrinking fast (and I really don't think we need one with having irc and teamspeak)

Wasn't aware of this. Interesting.

Dusalty wrote:

Removal of ITT
I don't think this makes any difference either way, short term it might increase topics in OT but eventually another similar thread will start dominating the OT subforum.

This is why we need to learn from this and not make a such a terrible thread again. If one suddenly pops out and it starts to become ITT-like, we need to kill it with fire.

Dusalty wrote:

To be honest i don't really know how much activity you are expecting.

Enough that we don't need to rely on threads like ITT and necromancy game.

Dusalty wrote:

The best way to increase activity would be getting new members and as far as I know there's no active promotion going on.

I can make one happen, if that is needed.

abraker wrote:

Remove everything that is active and squeezed out to the point of being dry and stale.. ITT and Necro can go, but why remove and/or collapse forum sections? You want to allow more places for users to post, not generalize them to a single point. That might result in more ITT type threads as you will get threads spiraling to the same kind because where else are you going to talk about stuff? Or it would discourage users to post a certain type of threads because they would be lacking sections as its sole heaven, so you get a "general art" type thread, for instance, where it becomes "ITT: we post art" kind of thing. Can go both ways, really.

gIPeL88.png

It already is "ITT: we post art". It just has a little sister right next to it. There's really nothing else going on in that specific subforum. We have GD for a reason.

Hades Izanami wrote:

Leave the art sf as well, some people feel like drawing stuff, why should we stop that?

Where did I say that we should stop people from drawing stuff?

Offline

^ #12 2017-06-16 21:54:45

tupsu
Sales Manager
From: south finland
Registered: 2016-05-19
Posts: 1,296
Website

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

>At the very least, it would be nice to have that subforum hidden by default. People who seek titties could ask for permissions or something.
workable but takes actual effort from admins so not sure that'll happen

>Do you mean finnish shitposting? We probly need to set up something for that.
more specifically, finns shitposting in english - the finns are my favourite part of this forum as the least brain damaged group around


(´・ω・`)

Offline

^ #13 2017-06-17 00:52:41

FuZ
cancer incarnate
From: france
Registered: 2015-10-20
Posts: 771

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

Mara wrote:
laport wrote:

I would like to see a gaming schedule thread where we can plan to play whatever games together.

This is pretty solid idea. We just need to figure out what kind of games are people willing to play.

yes the unreal tournament meeting was great

Offline

^ #14 2017-06-17 04:01:32

Mara
Baka
Registered: 2015-10-19
Posts: 1,225
Website

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

tupsu wrote:

workable but takes actual effort from admins so not sure that'll happen

Could make someone else as Lewd mod just to give permissions to read it. Not sure how flexible FluxBB's permission system is, but that is one option.

tupsu wrote:

more specifically, finns shitposting in english - the finns are my favourite part of this forum as the least brain damaged group around

Roger that, I'll keep that in mind in the upcoming promotion spree.

Offline

^ #15 2017-06-17 09:02:16

IppE
Complaints Department
From: Funland
Registered: 2015-10-19
Posts: 2,294
Website

Re: Tuuba Revival Project

I guess you'll figure out a nice middle ground at some point. Zertap and I are not really interested in seriously talking about any big rewamps before there is a clear consensus among the userbase as to what we actually want to do with the forums.

Mainly because that'll give us a nice leeway to finish up the Japan trip thing first.

Offline

Board footer

Cookie policy

Powered by Maki (r138/git:c447f31)

mascot