Tuuba Time: 2024-03-29 03:47:57 | Local Time: 2024-03-29 01:47:57

You are not logged in.

^ #106 2016-08-22 01:50:59

abraker
Mad Scientist

Re: abraker's Osu! Log

I think these entries are defaulting to monthly releases instead of weekly, unfortunately. So where to start?

The key counter turned out to be just a trial for peppu to see how well the LAZER stuff works. It kinda made me a bit sad that me and a bunch of other devs who took on the challenge turned out to be gineae pigs for his experiment. No matter, I decided to do something more productive and took on the task of recoding the entire mania gamemode - only to be met by more disappointments. The way the stuff handling beatmaps and hitobjects is coded made brought me death by cringe. It would require an entire rework of the beatmap and hitobject management systems to get to the point where the gamemodes can be reworked. However, peppu said that they would want to hold out on major code changes before releasing since it will just delay the release further more.

The way peppu and smoogipooo are working on osu!LAZER makes it hard to do anything. The mentality is not just ask, but do, such that peppu expects for devs to not be needed to be told what to do. That's pretty hard considering I have no idea what their roadmap is. Without knowing the plans, I don't even bother since that will pose more problems down the line imo. I'll go back to LAZER once it's somewhat ready to be worked on without being concerned that the development is not ready for feature X or some other shit.

So I went back to working on the osu! Replay Analyzer. Yes, it's not done - still. I haven't been lazy, I have been working on it almost everyday (except that month I worked on osu!LAZER stuff). It has a bit of a way more to go before it's ready for release. It is almost stable, but lacks any useful features that would allow to analyze replays for cheating and lacks a good gui. To give an idea of what I have been working on in the past month, I refactored tons of shit like how sliders are constructed and rendered, mod application, optimized beatmap loading, added graphs of various metrics like velocity, tap intervals, etc, and implemented acc based scoring for tapping and aiming. Note that was all for osu!std, and am yet do same for mania.

Recently Ripple got popular and have been enjoying my time playing on it. It's mania heaven! The maps you don't expect to be ranked in 50 years are ranked on Ripple! That bring me to my next point - osu! ranking system can go suck a dick. Among all the shit I can barely tolerate, the concept of players not being ready for a map to be ranked just plucked my nerve. This happened with Monstrata's map, A-L-I-E-N, and recently with another taiko map. Players talk about quality, but they are truly talking about a set of allowed styles. What is unrankable is a style sacrificed because restrictions needed to be put in place to disallow maps which abuse mechanics or which players would universally hate from being ranked. Let me tell you now that some of the more advanced o2jam style maps mappers make will NEVER get ranked due to the sheer difficulty of acquiring required support for ranking. And yet, they will never get support because the players who would give support stay away from the game due to the lack of such difficulty available for ranking. Catch-22 anyone? Whoever makes up these rules is shooting themselves and everyone else in the foot.

Khelly surpassed me in mania. Also my fingers get itchy again. I don't seem enjoying mania that much recently. There is something telling me that I've been pushing myself too hard again. I just don't feel good playing mania. I might move on to standard soon and play mania casually. I might regain the passion for mania in the future, but that's where things currently stand.

Also standard mapping is hard. It's like trying to draw a picture you have in your mind - it ends up like a sonic the hedgehog fan shit. There are jumps that I want to map but don't play well when I test the map. Not sure if I am not mapping what I have in my head right or whatever I have in my head isn't practical when mapped.

EDIT: And only now AND just now did I notice that p-e-p-p-y is being changed to p-e-p-p-u on this forum. I thought I typo'd this shit consistently every time. Well played.

EDIT2:
peppu
peppu
peppu
PEPPU

Last edited by abraker (2016-08-22 01:54:50)

hfT37VC.gif

^ #107 2016-08-22 02:10:49

IppE
Complaints Department
Website

abraker wrote:

EDIT: And only now AND just now did I notice that p-e-p-p-y is being changed to p-e-p-p-u on this forum. I thought I typo'd this shit consistently every time. Well played.

Peppu means butt in finnish, I felt it was fitting.

^ #108 2016-09-11 21:14:02

abraker
Mad Scientist

So my mania skill has been downgraded by a lot recently to the point I can't stream like I used anymore, which is a shame because it feels awfully depressing that I can't pull off the stuff I used to pull off. There are still some days I am on some magical drugs that give me good plays, but even that doesn't last long and is not as good some other of my top plays. I did manage to HT highest diff Blatix, which is something, but it I couldn't pass before due to bad handtrill timing (was going faster than needed), so it's not really an improvement in overall skill. I also did manage to DT pass G-SYMPHONiCORE for the second time ever, but I am not sure if that's just luck or not.

I have been mapping a lot more lately. Yes, I am becoming one of those veteran players that just got tired of playing the game for no real gain, going ahead to map more and play less. I notice my mapping style is uniquely different from other mappers. I tend to make more experimental type of patterns, technical patterns, having patterns inspired from stepmania, and having patterns inspired by the patterns found when you get the DT version of a map. Personally, I like LN shields with as less finger independence as possible, bursts, grace notes, and alternating patterns (multi-handed trills), maps requiring little stamina, and I think my mapping style is starting reflect that. I would like to list all the maps going for unranked I completed so far in the order I did them:

The Gears Go Awry - This is a GD request by theRevenant I did year and a half ago and I think this was the first request I had. It's a simple 3* map, and while I haven't fully developed my style of mapping much back then, you can see it coming through a bit with the non-flat 4 note chords.

Nihil Kagura - This is a GD a did just out of the blue because I saw that the map had potential to be something better, but the mapper refused to apply the mods I suggested. You can really see my mapping style here with the LN, the technically structured patterns, the progressive difficulty, and experimental patterns.

Detailed Description

The LN is made with gentle care to finger independence while being a bit hard to read. I use LN styling instead of regular notes to resemble distinct sounds, primarily at the 02:48:245 mark. I end and begin LN on the same column to unify motifs like at 03:05:245 and I use LN shielding to convey strong beats. I take advantage of LN to maintain the difficulty even at simply parts like at 03:11:445. The streams follow the direction of the singer's low -> high or high -> low pitch differences while separating to the other hands upon some motif changes, preserving the gentle care to finger independence. The streams actually get a bit more difficult at the end as I use more jacks. Finally I included a 1/12 snapped alternation burst at 00:27:045 as an experimental pattern because, I myself, like burst and alternating patterns and because I feel its a bit fits given the sound that is produced. Some players might not like that, and I don't blame them.

Bangin' Burst - This map I created in a very short time in response to khelly's statement that there are no good Bangin' Burst maps out there. Everything about this map is experimental and an abuse of LN styling. This is more of a map testing what I can do with the patterns than anything else. I made another difficulty without the annoying LN for ones that really hate it, but I admit it's still not a so good of a map. Maybe I'll do take 2 on it when I have a better idea of what patterns to map this song to.

Electic "Sister" Bitch - This is a mix between experimental and technical. The map itself is impossible hard with some insanely crazy LN breaks mid way. I don't expect this to be S'd easily.

Glucagon - This map is my latest map as I am writing this. This map is what I consider one of the best maps I have created so far, from the background I edited to fulfill the evillious nature of the map, the mesmerizing glowing, addictive, nature of the song, to the patterns which would throw off any player just looking at the star rating and and bpm. The song is rated at 4.01* - with 69 BPM - is a clear underestimation of what the map really is for a good reason; while appealing and dark(ish) like EZFG's other songs, at least for me, the song stares you in the face, questioning your full potential. This map is also the first map I made which lays out the patterns 95% just like my hands would like them to play, so that was an exciting improvement regarding mapping on my part.

Detailed description

The map begins with a rather comforting 1-2-1-1-2 rhythmic pattern with the a LN chord shield. The LN is made which takes advantage of what I like to call tapping accents by making one or more LN start a bit later than when the sound hits, which makes the pattern more interesting. LN chord shields are pretty much used widely in this map, shown at 00:07:796 to convey build up or at 00:09:328 to control tapping the player's tapping and to overlay rhythmic information. For example, that beat cuts off what would otherwise be an LN going all the way to the end.

Following that, a separate the beat and singing to the left and to the right, so it basically becomes a 2k+2k map. The singing side is structured to have jacks during hard consonants and have notes on the same column if it is a 1/4 snap continuing the motif. Finally the section is entirely technical with little variance applied. Then we come to 00:43:269 which I consider my best application of alternation streams so far. The rapid 1/12 trilling just conveys how intense the song itself is and what I feel when the the song just hits that part. At 00:53:779 we have bursts to end off the intensity. At 00:57:283 I chose a trill type pattern to convey this part. There is something satisfying about making this play to a trill pattern that I can't explain, especially the 00:59:911 to 01:00:057 jack joining the motifs.

The rest of the map repeats these patterns with progressing difficulty, with the exception of some parts. The part at 01:08:013 makes use of LN styling to convey the robotic sounding synth in the background while coincidentally showing some sort of rhythm to the vocals when changing column. At 01:55:091 I used an additional long note to, again, add addition rhythmic information when the synth becomes polyrhythmic. I didn't feel the part at 02:02:098 needed to be hard, but rather an intermission. There is a part I mapped incorrectly at 02:12:609 with the long synth, which me not realizing there was supposed to be a hold note there instead for consistency. The part at 02:54:651 is where the map peaks in difficulty. The catchy yet striking glu-glu-ga-ga... is where the map stares back at you to challenge your potential.

I am planning to upload the pack with these maps as soon as more slots open up. Until then, I don't think any of this will make much sense.

Onto what I have been programming, the analyzer can already display some useful metrics and I have recently implemented data displays which could reveal if a mania play is cheated or not. I still need to find myself some cheated replays so I can code up automatic cheat detection instead of having the user manually look at data.  I have been programming a couple things for osu! recently in addition to working on the analyzer. I submitted a pull request to have a clock ingame and am currently working on implementing new code for beatmap handling. I am not sure if the code will be accepted, but is worth a try.

hfT37VC.gif

^ #109 2016-09-29 04:08:43

abraker
Mad Scientist

Yay! My pack is out: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/514672

hfT37VC.gif

^ #110 2016-10-19 21:26:42

abraker
Mad Scientist

I am not writing these as often as I hoped to. Almost broke the monthly schedule.

Khelly surpassed me in mania and now have no hopes of catching up anytime soon. My improvement in mania is as slow as ever, though more recently I am able to read rolls and dumpstreams better. I am not sure if that's just a temporary thing or not, but at least I can improve on those kind of maps for now. I have been trying to find maps to grind pp on, but no new 4k >4.4 star maps are coming out. This puts me in #3000 for the first time in maybe a year and a half.

While I am playing mania, I've also been playing more standard recently too. I've lost the ability to read AR 9 and need to relearn how to read it again. It's amazing what 3 months of no practice does to you. Frustrating as it may be, I know I'll get there. I have been focusing more on getting at least 200 combo on maps rather than FC. I feel like I need to work my way up on all aspects rather than focus on girding a single map until I FC it. Though I will grind a single map if I do see it worth it.

I gave my map, "Glucagon" to play to several players and they seem to like it. The patterns are a mix of 2k+2k and regular style with 1/6 alternation patterns at 3 sections. For some reason my right hand does one to press the 3rd iteration of the LNs properly. I know it's not a map specific problem because I used to press ok, but not anymore. I just find that weird.

This map is easy and hard at the same time. Also fun to play. I managed to pass it and it's the fastest paced spamming I managed to pull off. I am not even sure how.

I am finally going to participate in a mapping contest! The recent mapping contest for "Nadeshiko Sensation" allows any gamemode and any key, and style, so it's the perfect opportunity to give my mapping style a go. I finished mapping it and am currently play testing it at times to see if it has any issues that need to be fixed. As of right now, I did come across a couple. With around 2 more weeks until the deadline, I think that's enough time time to sort those out and polish it.

I finally updated my Skillset Maps list to include a bunch more maps. If you play mania, check them out! Most of the maps I found through Khelly sharing them me, others are from packs I found all over the place.

I finally got restricted for a legitimate thing I did on the forums. Yay me :(  I decided to replay to every topic on the first page and bragged about doing so. I ended up with a one hour silence for "flooding in forums". I may also say with that, my GMT application is RIP. It probably wasn't the best time to do such a thing, but generally I don't regret doing so either. I had a good laugh from the reaction posts and that's what matters.

I recently submitted an update to the reaction skill. It should lower the points to be more closely inline with scores from other skills, and should break the trend of many players having berserk psychic as their title. Development of the reading skill is a long and winding road. I am currently making analyzers to measure the different aspects of the map and see what works and what doesn't. There are issues with the formulas being accurate, however. Measuring how much of a circle is overlapped by another circle has proved to be very difficult. It's easy with two circles, but much harder with 3 or more due to the geometry. For now I just measure the circles that does the most overlap, making it an approximation at best which may underrate some edge case scenarios. I also need to rework the algorithm for the tapping complexity (currently called tapping control) to not inflate on streams. And finally, I a plan to make an analyzer for measuring when a pattern switches circular motion.

For the in dev version of osu!, I submitted code for an ingame timing display. It's basically a clock. So you guys can see the time in the game. I have some comments from the devs that need addressing and a couple things to be fixed, but yea, I think a clock ingame is kinda important. Maybe I'll extend it and make it an alarm later on, but I doubt that proposal will be accepted. I am planning to make other small things though not sure what as of right now.

Happy Birthday!

Last edited by Brian OA (2016-10-19 21:40:49)

hfT37VC.gif

^ #111 2017-08-15 21:10:23

abraker
Mad Scientist

It has been a while since the last log. Those started to take up some time and soon enough I lost motivation on making them. The last time I even looked at this thread was last year, and it felt nostalgic and weird looking at my top scores on here. I can see that I have improved considerably despite the very slow improvement rate. It's a relief I can work off something because osu! decided to fuck all my local scores a month back. I think I will be updating the scores with new ones today and/or sometime this week.

So I did mention osu! decided to fuck all my local scores, right? I have been a lot more active on ripple as of late because of this. Since it offers more ranked mania maps, those are the ones that are pending in official osu! servers, it allows me to save scores onto ripple's servers. Not only that, but since many of the maps' scoreboards are small, it encourages me to do better to be that other guy, or do better if I fall out of the top50.

On the beatmapping side, I have revived my first beatmap. I think it's the only map I have that is close to getting ranked. It might get ranked this year, but that's optimistic. I predict 2018, but we'll see. I am also making a marathon map to a remix of the song 2nd Reality. I plan to give several difficulties, but the diff I am making right now is meant nice for DT.

I have made a discord for OT and home to give expand on OT community culture in the future. Currently that discord channel serves as the HQ for OT!neus, a news think Johnmedina999 came up with, but also a place for people OT to chat. I plan to setup a bot to give a live feed of OT in discord and later a bot that can give points to posts in OT. There is still a long way to go for the second thing, but perhaps someday it will be done.

I have lost faith in osu!skills, and just help Kert in here and there now. With osu! soon being able to support custom gamemodes and possibly mods, it's to my realization that you can't possibly take account any and all factors. What if the sliders can now wiggle? Custom shapes? Yea, I can't begin to describe how impracticable that would be. The idea to rank by skill can exist if the sole skill based on an element, and not the description of the gameplay. Agility works because it is the description of velocity. Precision works because it is the description of size and distance. Reading doesn't work because it is the description of almost everything.

Instead of tradition osu! ranking by calculating map metrics, I am currently experimenting with looking at scoreboards to deduce map difficulty. There are two main things to consider here: Player's score in relation to other players' scores in the map and player's score in relation to said player's score in other maps. Yes, yes, I know, this can be very inaccurate especially when the player decides to fuck up on purpose. However, that can be taken into account. The only difficulty I can imagine is how to construct this web of relativity efficiently and how to handle mods in context of custom mods - e.i. making the map 0.9x rate, making the AR 0.9x, etc.

Up next are my updated scores o/

hfT37VC.gif

^ #112 2017-08-15 21:33:51

abraker
Mad Scientist

[NEW ACHIEVEMENT]: Highest star 4k FC'd

New:
[07/29/17] pic; replay
    4.07*; IOSYS - Doutei Korose [Hamids' Karasu!] by Draftnell

Prev:
[08/01/16]
    4.06*; Junk - Yellow Smile(bms edit) [Insane] by Starry-

[NEW ACHIEVEMENT]: Highest star 4k S'd

New:
[03/14/17] pic; replay
    5.13*; xi - over the top [Extra] by Zan -

Prev:
[12/20/15]
    4.65*; Seiryu - BLUE DRAGON by ExUsagi

[NEW ACHIEVEMENT]: Highest star 4k A'd

New:
[08/08/17] pic; replay
    5.51*; TeamGrimoire+amaneko - croiX [GRAVITY] by Takane6

Prev:
[11/28/15]
    5.01*; Hecq - Dstrukt [4K Atramentous] by YunoFanatic

hfT37VC.gif

^ #113 2017-09-05 02:31:22

abraker
Mad Scientist

[NEW ACHIEVEMENT]: Highest star 4k PF'd

New:
[08/27/17] pic; replay
    3.98*; t+pazolite - Oshama Scramble! [EXPERT] by     [ A v a l o n ]

Prev:
[08/01/16] pic; replay
    3.96*; P*Light feat. mow*2 - Homeneko*Sensation [4K Insane] by victorica_db

[NEW ACHIEVEMENT]: Highest star 8k SS'd

New:
[08/27/17] pic; replay
    1.19*; Lia - My Soul, Your Beats! (TV Size) [8K NM] by DJPop

Prev:
[08/01/16] pic; replay
    1.14*; Blue123 - Caged Heart [Kami's 8K Relaxing] by Krfawy

hfT37VC.gif

^ #114 2017-09-09 07:00:13

abraker
Mad Scientist

New:
[09/09/17] pic; replay
    4.13*; Camellia - Ultimate Ascension [CS' EXHUAST] by Fresh Chicken

Prev:
[07/29/17] pic; replay
    4.07*; IOSYS - Doutei Korose [Hamids' Karasu!] by Draftnell

hfT37VC.gif

^ #115 2017-09-14 04:23:33

abraker
Mad Scientist

[NEW ACHIEVEMENT]: Highest star 4k DT FC'd

New:
[09/14/17] pic; replay
    3.9*; Hyper Potions - Friends [Mania / Hard] by Kuo Kyoka

Prev:
[04/18/16] pic; replay
    3.71*; Yokomin feat. Yuzuki Yukari - Story In Everlasting Princess [4K Medium] by [ A v a l o n ]

hfT37VC.gif

^ #116 2017-09-16 07:26:07

abraker
Mad Scientist

[NEW ACHIEVEMENT]: Highest star 7k SS'd

New:
[09/14/17] pic; replay
    1.64*; REDALiCE - Acceleration [S.Star's 7K NM] by YunoFanatic

Prev:
[05/17/15] pic; replay
    1.44*; Jeff Williams & Casey Lee Williams - This Will Be the Day (James Landino's Magical Girl Remix) [7K EZ] by Fullerene-

hfT37VC.gif

^ #117 2017-09-24 21:44:45

abraker
Mad Scientist

New:
[09/24/17] pic; replay
    4.34*; xi - Quietus Ray [EXHAUST Lv.15] by DE-CADE

Prev:
[09/09/17] pic; replay
    4.13*; Camellia - Ultimate Ascension [CS' EXHUAST] by Fresh Chicken

hfT37VC.gif

^ #118 2017-10-07 05:04:15

abraker
Mad Scientist

[NEW ACHIEVEMENT]: Highest star 4k HR S'd

New:
[10/07/17] pic; replay
    4.34*; Camellia as "Reverse of Riot" - Completeness Under Incompleteness [Zan's EXHAUST] by Fresh Chicken

Prev:
[??/??/16] pic; replay
    3.8*; S-C-U feat. Qrispy Joybox - anemone [4K Another] by Julie

hfT37VC.gif

^ #119 2024-02-09 06:31:22

Amelia Patterson

abraker wrote:

I missed last Thursdays regular modding schedule I set up myself due to work that needed to be done and I expect me having less time for osu! is going to become regular. I had a snow day and classes got canceled, so I was able to do some modding on Tuesday. Though it was mostly management. I went over the list of users yet to put "[REQUEST COMPLETE]" on their post or users that never gave kudos. The maps I went through were 5* or more that session. Either I was too lazy or the maps just drained me that time. Either way, I would expect the next wave of mods next week or the week after that. I'd really hate to make it every other week, but if it will come to that, then it will come to that.

I set some new records as seen in the previous posts. Team Grimoire - C18H27NO3 was hard to me before due to the hold note cords the map has, but now I learned to read them a bit better. Shiraishi - Shinsekai was hard for me due to its high BPM streaming and high HP. The player would need to have flow to pass that map, and for once in a rarity I managed to feel no or little strain in my fingers while playing up to 4.5 stars that day. It takes a certain mental state to relax and have fine control over how your fingers tap, and in edge cases, vibrate. Couldn't pull off the 4* diff in Empress though. I came close with 3/4 of the map done before my stamina killed me. That tells me I'm about 3-7 months away from passing it.

There is some progress on the reading skill, but not a whole a lot. With work load, I get little mental stamina remaining to come up with ideas for how to approach things. This is why I wasn't certain if it will be done by June or November; shit like this happens. At least it's foreseen. I mean if I finish in 2017, then that idk what laziness would overwhelm me considering I will have summer break and stuff to get this done.

Anyway, time to shift topic to mapping. My map, "Density of Air", still needs to get hitsounds done in the Hard, Normal and EZ diffs. And more mods are needed as well. I'll probably go on a mod request spamming spree when I het those hitsounds done. I also started work on a new map, "F-777 - Ludicrous Speed" and I am mapping it for the standard gamemode. It's the first map I'll map in standard and so far it's taken shape of a style I really look forward bringing forward for others to play. No, not symbolic mapping, though I use that a bit everywhere. Hopefully 2016 will be the year of hold jumps, and I don't want to spoil anything more.

Following those 2 maps, I will probably map one of my favorite songs, do a SB/vid based map, or visualization map. I did mention I wanted to make a Geometry Dash kind of map using the 1k keymode in mania. I don't know how possible it is, but I'll give it a try at one point. Concerning the visualization map, I think osu! needs more Centipede-like stuff. I see myself going into visualization mapping later on. I hope in the future there will be beatmap visualization contests. The ideas I have on how to visualize some songs would make Centipede look like a 2007 map compared to modern day maps. Ok, maybe to far of an exaggeration, but I do have sweet ideas in mind.

Oh yea I also got a bunch of older things a mapped. I will prob need to take care of those at some point. One is a fully mapped marathon map which needs some polishing. Another is comparable to a newb 3* shitmap. Needs to be redone from scratch. 2k-18k short touhou mapset. That needs extending somehow. The melody repeats, so it's hard to come up with much. And then I have an 8* mistake which In which I will remap impossible part to make it more playable.

Now that I wrote about what I want to map, I have no idea what I will write about next. I guess I will find out soon. Time to end this before I start writing gibberish I write in my private entries on here.

Navigating through a snow day with class cancellations turned out to be a productive modding session for me. Despite challenges, I set new personal records, including conquering Team Grimoire - C18H27NO3. Excited for the upcoming mods and overcoming the hurdles, with a touch of optimism for a snow day predictor in future schedules.

^ #120 2024-02-11 03:04:52

abraker
Mad Scientist

Yooo this is crazy wow. I forgot all about this

hfT37VC.gif

Board footer

Cookie policy